Day Four: She Who Watches

Day Four:

7/10/18

Today we were looking towards a long road trip to Deschutes Oregon. We woke up a little after 5:00am and hit the road around 7:00am. I am a very forgetful person sometimes. We took a shower last night and I have a nose stud. I left it in the shower, and knowing me, I didn’t realize that I did. So, early in the morning when we were leaving, we stopped at the showers at the youth camp, thankfully my stud was there! That was my morning blooper, I guess. We left the mountains going through Glenwood Washington, a little town right behind Mt. Adams and behind the Yakama Nation Mountains. It was said to be a long trip this day, and indeed, it was. We had planned some stops on our way to our second camp grounds. We stopped to see She Who Watches. A petroglyph in near Lyle in WA. These petroglyphs have meaning and stories that are meaningful to the Native American people of Warm Springs Oregon (OR) to Yakama Nation. Possibly even farther. She who watches was a leader who wanted to watch over her people and was turned into stone to take care of them forever.
This is She Who Watches at the Horsethief Lake in Washington, East of Lyle by the Columbia River.

This is the picture I captured. This is what She Who Watches looks like. This was a great trip and I just love how I learn more and more every time I go back there. I learn things like, how she came to be. How she protects people, and all different beliefs people have. It’s truly amazing. Of course there are many other petroglyphs there.






This is a picture of an owl. This has a legend behind it, but I never heard the story myself.




Here is one, that I am not sure what the story is behind it.
This one represents a Deer.

As you may see, this is a bird. This could possibly
be a spirit bird.

After taking a hike to see these painted or carved stones, we started heading out to Bend OR. We wanted to stop at Safeway to buy a few things. It was fun walking around but I was also trying to budget my money. I had only brought $17 with me. It isn’t the first time I had brought little to no money on a trip and learned to save my money. Any who, after shopping, we left Safeway and started heading to our camp. Finally we arrived. This was nice because we have been sitting in the car for quite a while. We got there and right away we started setting up our tents. Night was on its way, and we had an amazing dinner. Chicken Alfredo and garlic bread. It was so good! After so, we started doing our blogs, and then we hit the hay and went to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Fourteen: Last day!!!

WHOOPSIE!!!

Day One: Start of the knowledgeable trip